The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Tuesday 27 November 2007

Single on-demand player for BBC, ITV and Channel 4!!!

The BBC's iPlayer, Channel 4's 4OD, and the streaming content from ITV.com have fundamentally changed my TV habits; about the only programme I now watch when broadcast is 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip' (available from 4OD, but for a price). Unfortunately however the iPlayer and 4OD don't work perfectly, with the iPlayer being especially erratic (occassionally having a frenzy that eats up all the processing power), and the two downloaded services often rub each other up the wrong way as they use similar technologies. Hopefully a single player will solve many of the current problems and will increase adoption of video on-demand.

Whilst a Mashable posting has a little bit of a whinge about the use of DRM, compatibility, and UK only access, it seems be missing the bigger picture, as TechCrunch states "Ultimately the biggest winner from the deal will be the British viewer who will have unparalleled access to legal TV content online in the one spot."

DRM is a necessity in the world of broadcast television, as is the restricting of access on a national basis, overcoming these boundaries are years away and will require unprecedented international cooperation (DRM-free music is a piece of cake in comparison). Compatibility will come with time, but it makes sense to start with the dominant system.

I did notice one comment on the TechCrunch site whinging about the BBC TV licence (and I am sure there will be more to come), so in the interests of keeping the balance, I would like to point out that I would willingly pay an increase in the TV licence!

Labels: , , ,

posted by David at

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the article David. I don’t see 4oD coming to my country anytime soon. However, there are plenty of workarounds available to access it here in my country. Personally, I use UnoTelly for more than a year and I can access 4oD like I am in UK.

30 August 2014 at 06:57

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home