The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Thursday 2 October 2008

De-branding my N95 for the BBC iPlayer

I have had my N95 for over a year, but until yesterday I had left it as a crumby T-mobile N95 with the appropriately out-dated branded firmware. I had tried to change it once, but the required software refused to recognise my phone. It was annoying but I put up with it, until yesterday's announcement on All About Symbian that the BBC iPlayer was available for the S60.

I have been waiting for an S60 version of the iPlayer since it was made available for the over-hyped iPhone back in March. Unfortunately the iPlayer application (which can be downloaded here) takes the form of a Nokia Web Runtime (a Nokia Widget) rather than an S60 application, the difference being that the Nokia Web Runtime framework comes with the Nokia update software that wasn't yet built into the T-mobile firmware. Whilst I have put up with missing out on lots of exciting developments because of the T-mobile firmware, the BBC iPlayer is not just any old new software, its a new way to access the greatest television on Earth! (I may have mentioned previously that I am possibly the BBC's biggest fan). This time when I tried to de-brand my phone it all went smoothly.

If you have yet to de-brand, and want access to the iPlayer on your N95, then there is a detailed post on how to de-brand over at Simply Symbian.

As for the S60 iPlayer, my only criticism is the "Sorry, television programmes can only be watched over a wifi connection". My 3G connection is often faster than my wifi connection, I pay for an 'unlimited' data plan and it's about time there was a program that could make use of it.

Firmware offered for T-mobile phone yesterday: 14.0.001
Firmware offered for de-branded phone yesterday: 30.0.015

Labels: , , ,

posted by David at

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin Brett said...

Thanks for your post, I've now been able to install iplayer on my N95, the only thing your post fails to mention is that you have to copy the widget file on to your phone, then install it, as it won't install via nokia suite.

15 October 2008 at 16:37

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its quite obveous you put software onto the device then install!

18 October 2008 at 23:45

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am using firmware version 20 and cannot click on software to install.
It's like it doesnt recognise the file type

27 November 2008 at 12:29

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home