The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 29 August 2008

Maplin's Minibook

I remember a time when being seen in public with my Eee PC 701 would always get people asking questions, these days they are seemingly everywhere. A stroll into Dixons (or whatever my local branch is called these days) at lunchtime found four different mini-notebooks available. The one that really caught my eye, however, was the one in Maplin's:

Whilst it isn't the most powerful of the mini-notebooks, or the most aesthetically pleasing, with a 7inch screen you can't argue with the weight: 0.65kg!! That makes the 0.922kg of the Eee PC 701 look decidedly over-weight, whilst the Eee 901 will barely be able to hold its head up in public at 1.14kg.

Maybe I need Maplin's minibook for those days when I am feeling too lazy to carry my 701...or should I just hold out for the one that comes with a helium filled balloon?

I am also slightly surprised at the claim on the 'minibook' trademark, after all, wasn't the Eee PC 701 first launched in the UK as the RM minibook?

Labels: , ,

posted by David at

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one of these minibooks from Maplin.

The big problem is you cannot watch videos or listen to anything online using this book as it runs on Linux, own upgrade is not available, you have to wait for the company which made it to come with own version of Flash player and until then the Flash player or the Real Player or anything similar is not available so you wont be able to watch the news from BBC ( or any other video) including Yourtube.

12 October 2008 at 12:06

 
Blogger David said...

Whilst Linux is not the easiest OS to update, I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible at all. The problem is finding the information about how to do it. The Eee PC has a big online community which posted all the information I needed to change to a traditional desktop mode, connect via my n95, and lots of other bits and pieces. Try finding some maplin minibook users online and asking them what to do.

14 October 2008 at 08:43

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home