The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 6 February 2009

Nokia 5800 v. Xda Serra (HTC Touch Pro/MDA Vario IV)

Whenevever I get a new phone my girlfriend decides that she needs one too. Yesterday she picked up her new Nokia 5800 XpressMusic:

It wasn't long before I was coveting the 5800. Whilst by no means as powerful as my recently acquired Xda Serra (or even the N95 which we both previously had), it has the usability (and price tag) that will appeal to the masses.

Every day I seem to find something to curse about the Xda, but to a certain extent that is the consequence of choosing phones which are moving ever closer to the computer end of the appliance-computer spectrum. Whilst I momentarily contemplated exchanging my Xda Serra for a Nokia 5800 (I still have a few days to return the phone), the truth is that I am the sort of user who will take advantage of the Xda Serra's qwerty keyboard and the included Microsoft Office.

The Nokia 5800 is the better phone; the Xda Serra is the better computer. Maybe the N97 will be the best of both.

Labels: , ,

posted by David at

2 Comments:

Blogger jaffamuffin said...

This is interesting. Can you expand more on the difference. In what way is the 580 a better phone? I am considering X1, 5800, or maybe Touch Pro (which is pretty similar to X1).

Really wanting The next E90, but I want a PDA/phone. Can I draw notes and things on the 5800 Psion5 style? Does it have good calander / scheduling / note facilities? Is the touch pro better? is call quality poor on the touch pro? Is the phone book in adequete. Why is the 5800 better?

8 February 2009 at 22:14

 
Blogger David said...

@jaffamuffin

Unfortunately my experience of the 5800 is rather limited, so my comments are mainly limited to first impressions rather than the intricate extras. What I love about the 5800 is its more responsive touchscreen, with a nice slight-vibrating feedback.

I can also say, categorically, that the GPS on the 5800 is about a million times better than the Touch Pro (even after I had downloaded some additional update). So if you are really hankering after a GPS don't even think about the Touch Pro.

As for your specific questions about the Touch Pro: call quality is ok, not great; phonebook/contacts is great....and as a hotmail user, I loved the fact I could transfer across all my hotmail contacts.

9 February 2009 at 11:02

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home