The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Thursday 12 November 2009

My Circle of Distraction: Now with added Google Wave!

Increasingly we have web access wherever we go: wi-fi, dongles, mobile phones. For me, however, it's nice to get away from the web, because when I do have access I have to be constantly on guard against falling into my personal circle of distraction: the never-ending loop of checking web services.

The specifics of the circle change over time as my interests change and different services go in and out of fashion. Previous/occasional entrants include Facebook, FeedJit, Google Analytics, Google Finance. The current circle looks something like this:

Whilst Twitter has obvious attractions for the easily distracted, as a webometrician I'm equally interested in bit.ly: how many people have followed the links I've placed since I looked 5 minutes earlier? Then there's the email run: Hotmail, work email, University email. This tends to be followed by Google Wave, the latest new distraction on the block. Hardly anyone I know is really using it yet, but that means nothing in a circle of distraction. Then finally the Opera browser RSS reader. At which point there has been a sufficient gap to start the whole process again!

I dread to think how many times I find myself stuck in this, or a similar loop each day. Without the web I would get so much more work done, but what that work would be I don't know.

Labels:

posted by David at

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jonathan Lewis said...

I hear you. I think that Google Wave needs to merge with email rather than replace it, otherwise you just have to check both in parallel.

Merlin Mann has produced a rambling video about distraction on the web (43 Folders) I found it to be an entertaining distraction in itself.

I used to be addicted to checking how many stock photos of mine had been purchased. I'm better now but I still have to keep a check on how much "research" I'm doing on the web.

28 November 2009 at 15:26

 
Anonymous hanum said...

nice cirle diagram. Google is more sophisticated now. Nice review. Nice to know you ;)

25 December 2009 at 04:09

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home