The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Saturday 10 November 2007

RM Minibook (a.k.a. Asus Eee PC) improvements suggestions

Engadget have posed the question "How would you change Asus' Eee PC?" Since getting my Minibook (a nicer term than Eee PC) on Tuesday I have given this subject a lot of thought, but in truth, in the spirit of a stripped-down basic mini-laptop the Minibook does a great job. A lot of the suggestions on Engadget reflect a wish for something other than a stripped-down basic mini-laptop.

The most popular suggestions seem to be giving it a bigger screen, faster processing chip, longer lasting battery and (unsurprisingly) making it even cheaper. Obviously all these additions would be welcome, but do seem to be moving away from the market the Minibook is aimed at (with the exception of the price), making it more expensive and probably larger. The one suggestion that I thought most lost the point of the Minibook was the addition of a DVD player/recorder! Personally that one was lost on me.

However there were some additional suggestions that I did like the idea of:TV out (the Wii has taught me that YouTube on the TV can be a much more sociable experience), and the introduction of a swivel screen (surely that would be both simple and useful).

As for my own suggestions, well, after a week I would have to say that the one thing I really miss is a physical volume control. The best thing about the Minibook is its portability. Which means I often find myself in crowded libraries or coffee bars only to realise I haven't turned the sound off when sound starts blasting out from a web page! A physical volume control is far quicker and more user friendly. But all in all, a great product.

Labels: , ,

posted by David at

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A long shot I know ,

Does the Eee run secondlife.exe ??

In any form at all, even without the new windlight loveliness ?

pls pls pls say yes - If so Im sold!

8 January 2008 at 19:55

 
Blogger David said...

Hmm...not sure on that one...if it did I guess it would be very slow

13 January 2008 at 14:22

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home