The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Wednesday 6 February 2008

Joiku and the Eee PC (RM Minibook)

I don't usually get my S60 news from GigaOm, but they have highlighted a potentially useful application that can turn the N95 (or other phone with the S60 operating system) into a wireless hotspot: Joiku. It is VERY important to take into consideration the data package that your phone comes with before adding it, and unfortunately it doesn't come with any security, so once your phone's a hotspot, anyone can connect to it!

As the Eee PC doesn't come with bluetooth, there may be occassions when you want to access the web and don't have the required wire, and therefore Joiku seems a useful solution. You will, however, need to change the wireless connection settings so the mode is 'ad-hoc' rather than 'auto' for the connection to be enabled, and even then I found trouble getting the computer to connect. It automatically loads the joikuspot.com homepage first, and I found this took AGES!

Whether the problems I encountered are due to something I am doing wrong, or a problem at Joiku's end I don't know, but if it gets sorted it will definately find a permanent place on my phone.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by David at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home