The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 1 February 2008

There is only one story: Microsoft offer $44.6bn for Yahoo!

I have not had a chance to check out the blogosphere today, but I am guessing that there is only one big story, Microsoft's offer of $44.6bn in cash and shares for Yahoo. Whilst the rumour has been spreading for a while that either Google or Microsoft would buy out Yahoo, it is still a shock to read that the offer has been made. Personally I would like to see Yahoo compete successfully as an independent company, but if it has to be bought I would rather see it bought by Microsoft than Google.

Google is too powerful a web presense, especially in the realm of search. Having a single organisation that provides access to all the information on the web doesn't really bare thinking about, but that is the situation we seem to be (sleep)walking towards. Surely we have passed the point where Google's success in web search has meant that it has broken its "do no evil" philosophy.

This is the wake-up call that we need to start breaking the Google addiction. Personally I will be heading to Ask.com for my searching...as long as I remember.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by David at

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear David, Found your blog looking for predictions on Google share price. I wish you well with your studies. But, I hope you do not mind me correcting your spelling here: 'Having a single organisation that provides access to all the information on the web doesn't really BARE thinking about' -- The word is you need here is 'bear' and not 'bare'- as in naked!

8 March 2008 at 10:09

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home