The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Thursday 9 October 2008

Waterstone's Missing the Last Step

I have just bought another new book to add to the ever-increasing piles scattered around my flat: Paul Carr's Bringing nothing to the party: True confessions of a new media whore

I bought the book from Waterstone's online for £6.29 (£6.99 minus 10% for some special offer code they had sent me), as opposed to the £9.99 for one of the shop copies. As Waterstone's offer free delivery to your local store, that seemed a better option than paying for it to be delivered to my home (at which point I may as well have paid the full price in the shop). The only problem is, Waterstone's never tell you when an internet order has arrived. They tell you when the order is dispatched, but not when it has arrived in the shop.

Would it really be much more difficult to let people know the book has arrived, in the same way they let you know the book has arrived when you order it in-store? And why do I have to wait for my copy to be delivered when there are three copies sitting on a shelf in-store? The chain of high street stores could give Waterstone's a great competitive advantage over other online book sellers, but they just don't seem to be using it to their advantage yet.

Labels: ,

posted by David at

1 Comments:

Blogger Zoë said...

I agree, I've been trying to work out if it is better to order from the shop direct as they seem to add the 'value added' service if you do. When ordering online, I went into my local shop 3 times before it arrived. Quite frustrating. I suppose that is why it is cheaper though!

8 December 2008 at 18:19

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home