The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 9 January 2009

Web 5.0 is rising!

There was a very interesting post over at Royal Pingdom about trends in current web terminology using data collected from Google's Insights for Search (I mentioned it in my webometrics reddit but I don't know how many of my blog readers also follow that). What I found most interesting was the slight decline of both "web 3.0" and the "semantic web", terms which are often used synonymously. It is also interesting to note, from looking at Google Insights for Search myself, that "Web 5.0" is a term on the rise (albeit from a very low starting point):

Could it be that the premature discussion of "Web 3.0", "Semantic web", and the over marketing of "Web 2.0" has led to it all being labelled as hype by the public? It remains to be seen what effect it will have on future funding and marketing of the next generation of web services.

As for "Web 5.0", I still think it was described best by Stuart(2007). I have already started to forget most of what I know in case they charge per terabyte of data we need to upload.

Labels: , , ,

posted by David at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home