The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 2 January 2009

Why don't lottery tickets have QR Codes?

Whilst contemplating the current lack of a mass appeal QR code application in my previous post, it occurred to me that they would be brilliant on lottery tickets. It would be extremely simple for a QR code to be generated for each ticket which includes a hyperlink to a dynamically generated web page saying whether or not it is a winning ticket:

Not only would this be much faster for the players than checking half a dozen lucky dips manually, but it would also drive tens of thousands of customers to the national lottery web site; where players could then be enticed to play other national lottery mobile games!

I'm not sure how extra revenue such a scheme would make for national lottery good causes, but I think I could at least expect a gallery in the British Museum named after me :-)

nb. The idea has already generated an extra £2 as I went out and bought the above ticket specifically for this blog post.

Labels: ,

posted by David at

2 Comments:

Blogger Gustav Ernberg said...

Or instead of QR code.
Text that says:

Go to: http://lottery.com/?ticket=[UNIQUQ-ID]

To check your ticket.

21 September 2009 at 11:36

 
Blogger M Taher said...

I have updated my (web search) on Googles' barcode 2007, 2008, 2009.

See also at my blog: my Web analytics (and you rightly call it webometric).
Best regards.

8 October 2009 at 18:23

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home