The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Thursday 2 April 2009

Internet Explorer 8 Virtual Q&A: Time for the bespoke browser?

I have just spent the last hour having a chat with some people at Microsoft about Internet Explorer 8 (using Tangler).

Whilst I first tried IE8 over a year ago, I have been a pretty solid Firefox user since then; Firefox wasn't a deliberate choice, just something I floated into over time.

I'm not too sure why I was invited along to the chat (everyone there was far more technical than me), but it did force me to think about web browsers. My conclusion:
Bloated
IE 8 is full of bells and whistles, and whilst the technorati may make use of them, does the average user? Are they actually becoming a hindrance to the average user? Not only slowing down the program, but adding confusion to the browsing experience.

I think it is time to move beyond the one browser fits all model. At a minimum I would like to see Microsoft develop two browsers: IE Simple, and IE Professional. But what I would really like to see is a bespoke browser. You go to the Microsoft site, select the browser features you want included, and it compiles the IE browser for you.

Labels: , ,

posted by David at

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer Google Chrome because it is simple, fast and renders the Internet beautifully. I find FireFox extremly useful for development, but slow with a less than perfect rendering engine for general use. I don't mind Internet Explorer 8, it is a bit slow with bias for the corporate environent.

I think we just about have what you suggest in your post, now. It is just that the browsers are provided by different vendors.

2 April 2009 at 22:44

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home