The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Saturday 8 March 2008

iPlayer on the iPhone: Does the BBC believe the hype?

I am probably the world's biggest BBC fan, and think they have made some great moves on the internet, especially with the rolling out of the iPlayer. But now they have managed to annoy me. Just catching up on my RSS feeds, and found that yesterday the iPlayer became accessible on the iPhone. Whilst I look forward to the BBC rolling out on mobile devices, choosing the iPhone first is just annoying.

I appreciate that they have to roll the services out across the different systems one at a time, but I don't understand why they chose the iPhone over the S60 based devices, specifically the N95 which would have made the service available to many more times the customers. It is not a repeat of the Linux/Apple/Windows debate as Windows was always the dominant platform. The iPhone is only the dominant device in the minds of certain sections of the blogosphere.

"We started with iPhone because it is the device most optimised for high quality video currently available"...seems a pretty lame excuse to me, especially as the N95 would have allowed for true mobile viewing as it could utilise 3G rather than being limited to Wi-Fi.

Obviously part of my annoyance is due to my having an N95, but in my defense I haven't moaned about the lack of access on the Wii or the fact that when I try to access BBC files on the Netgear EVA 700 it refuses to give me a picture (unlike the Channel 4 programmes which work perfectly). I think this time it's a legitimate whinge.

Labels: , ,

posted by David at

1 Comments:

Blogger Man Reborn said...

I own an N95 on T-Mobile UK.

I believe you'll find the reason for no availability for N-Series phones here: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/mobile-tv-video-services/mobile-tv/

Why give for free something you are already successfully charging money for?

10 March 2008 at 09:51

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home