The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 21 August 2009

Looking Forward to an Oxford English Dictionary API

Final proof of my being middle-aged came on Tuesday when I found myself filling in a form on the OED site complaining about the lack of a mobile interface for the dictionary and the term 'webometrics' missing from the dictionary. The reply came this morning: they have no plans for a mobile interface..."However, there are plans to provide APIs which would enable third parties to develop different interfaces for querying the OED." I couldn't have asked for more!

I am a heavy user of the OED, in fact it is the only subscription service that I inevitably use every day. It is not only that I am an appalling speller (which I am and have always been), but the dictionary is an essential tool for any academic. Unfortunately the lack of a simple mobile interface has meant that I don't consult the dictionary as often as I should. Despite being provided with a subscription from two different universities and two public libraries the lack of a mobile interface means a long and awkward signing-in process before you even start to look at specific entries.

Whilst a decent mobile application/interface will be of greatest interest to me, an API will enable a wide range of novel applications to be built around the world's greatest dictionary.

nb. Webometrics has now been added to their files as a 'hint' to the new words team.

Labels: ,

posted by David at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home