The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Friday 14 March 2008

Yesterday big day for SNS, but what about tomorrow?

Yesterday saw a couple of big social network stories:
MySpace launched developer platform in beta
Bebo bought by AOL for $850 million
Whilst we have been waiting for the MySpace story for months, the second was heralded with much less fanfare. Together the two stories mark final growing-up of SNS.

The big three have now all been bought (at least in part) and all have developer platforms. They are no longer new and exciting, but rather an integrated part of the web users' daily lives. Whilst there may be new entrants and new exciting innovations, the heady days are past us. The question now is what is going to be the next big innovation? What will be the next exciting range of products that get the big players fighting over the start-ups? The obvious answer is the virtual worlds of Second Life etc, but they have yet to really capture people's interest in the same way...and if EA-land is anything to go by they won't for a while yet.

If I knew the next big idea I wouldn't be writing some crumby blog, instead I would be programming like crazy. But if you know where I should be investing my spare sixpence please feel free to let me know.

Nb. In truth I wouldn't be programming, instead I would be getting others to program for me. Too much wrapping up of programming and web innovation stifles innovation.

Labels: , , ,

posted by David at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home