The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Wednesday 26 March 2008

Beta Problems: The case of Google Analytics

It is often stated that we are now in the age of the perpetual beta as web services continually evolve to gain competitive advantage, never reaching a final finished product. Whilst we may enjoy the new additions to a favourite web site it can establish bugs in previously stable software. The effect of these bugs can range from the annoying to the potentially disastrous. Google Analytics seems to be having a number of these problems at the moment, hot on the heels of its not displaying graphs properly earlier in the month, I now find that it is refusing to acknowledge "absolute unique visitors".

When investigating a day's traffic it is always the absolute unique visitors that I am interested in rather than the total visitors, after all I often visit my own site more than once (and occasionally so do others). However, at some point yesterday Google analytics stopped being able to distinguish an absolute unique visitor. The results say I had a mere 27 absolute unique visitors yesterday, despite visitors from 33 different cities, whilst it currently says that I have had 27 visits today, of which there is not one single absolute unique visitor!

The perpetual beta works when innovation is more important than consistency. For me, in the cases of site statistics and email, consistency is more important than any new innovations.

Labels: , ,

posted by David at

3 Comments:

Blogger void said...

I'm experiencing the exact same problem: 0 uniques while having 30+ visits, on all the sites I'm monitoring using Analytics (7 sites), for yesterday (27th of March 2008). I'm curios of the extent of this bug :-? Anyway I must admit I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation :P

27 March 2008 at 11:16

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same problem here. Tons of "Visits," 0 uniques after march 26th.

-Eric

28 March 2008 at 14:13

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting this too, 0 Absolute Unique Visitors.

I found this post on Google groups.

http://tinyurl.com/yscubd

It's happened before and usually the correct data is still on Googles side, they just need to update it.

Also Glad it's not just me and hope it gets fixed soon.

28 March 2008 at 14:30

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home