The thoughts of a web 2.0 research fellow on all things in the technological sphere that capture his interest.

Thursday 20 March 2008

The Surprising Web: The case of UK political traffic

Despite years of surfing and investigating the web, I still find some of the habits of its users surprising. I spent this morning reading Charles Leadbeater's 'We-Think', one of the many books that are currently discussing the future of collaboration caused by new technologies. Whilst an enjoyable quick read, this post is not a book review, instead it is a reflection on one of the points made in the book: "The British political website that gets the most traffic belongs to the British National Party: racists are not given room to express their views on television so they use the Internet to promote and organise themselves."

Although I know the BNP has a web site, and have visited it more than once, I was nonetheless shocked to be told it is the political web site with the most traffic. As Leadbeater provided no reference for the statement, I decided to have a look for myself.

Whilst the sites that provide traffic information are notoriously unreliable, both Alexa and Compete provide the same picture. The BNP's traffic seems to be larger than the UK's major political parties, as well as some of the smaller ones who may have found it equally difficult to express the opinions in traditional news sources (e.g., greenparty.org.uk, ukip.org, respectcoalition.org, and the extremely un-mainstream natural-law-party.org.uk).



It is healthy to see, however, that British Parliament still commands a healthy lead over the BNP, and personally I would view that as a political web site:



Personally I hope that the majority of visitors to the BNP site are approaching them as an antiquated curiosity whose policies shock and disgust, rather than as a site with which they relate. Maybe these statistics give credence to the opinion that has been expressed elsewhere, that whilst the mainstream media state that they abhor the policies of the BNP they do give the small party far more exposure than they really should.

Labels: , , ,

posted by David at

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Havering Borough Council
Gooshays Ward
Thursday 20th March 2008
Mark Logan (BNP)865
Yve Cornell (Lab)741
Malcolm Fox (Con)489
Lawrence Webb (UKIP)70
David Durant (Lib)62
Ian Sanderson(Lib-Dem)52
BNP Percentage: 38%

21 March 2008 at 10:34

 
Blogger BlackBuck said...

Having accessed your site through another link, I was intrigued enough to actually visit the British National Party's website.
I have been on their site now for at least three hours and have found it absolutely fascinating. I particularly liked their article on the "Peak Oil Crisis" that , to my knowledge, has not appeared on any other political party's website.
I also approve of their appeal on behalf of the Ghurka ex-servicemen who, I believe, are being treated very shabbily.
Thanks for introducing me to this truly remarkable website that I shall now visit at least on a daily basis.
I recommend anyone else who has an enquiring mind to follow my lead a learn an awful lot that does not, for some reason, ever appear in the mainstream media.
Try accessing this site at
www.bnp.org.uk

Regards and thanks for this introduction.

21 March 2008 at 22:35

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home